From:
Horatio Buck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:29:15 +0000
At 03:58 PM 6/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, Carol, I'm back from vacation. Your question is worthwhile on Conch-L,
>inasmuch as poison ivy is the most common hazard that a fossil shell
>collector faces in the woods of eastern North America. If it's a vine with
>consistently 5-leaved clusters of leaves, then it's probably Virginia
>creeper and not allergenic. Poison ivy has "leaves three." The leaves are
>glossy, and their margins are usually slightly (not thoroughly) jagged. The
>vine form has myriad rootlets that resemble coarse hair. The plant has
>clusters of whitish berries in the fall. It is deciduous.
>
>Poison ivy has herb, vine, and bush forms, and is dismally common in
>eastern North America, especially in disturbed ground in the woods or at
>its edge. A related species (poisonwood) grows to tree size in the Bahamas.
>The "poison" is an allergenic oil. For those who are susceptible, a mere
>touch of any part of the plant leads to a painful, itchy rash that lasts a
>few days. For those who are very allergic to poison ivy, even the smoke
>from the burnt plant can be hazardous. In my experience, the ivy is most
>potent when it has not rained for several days.
>
>The best way to avoid problems with poison ivy while collecting fossils is
>to recognize and avoid the plant. "Leaves three, let it be" is a good maxim
>to learn. It also helps to cover your skin and not wear the same clothing
>again before cleaning it if you think it may have contacted the plant. It
>is not always possible to avoid touching poison ivy while climbing or
>descending cliffs. If you touch poison ivy, then wash your hands off with
>water as soon as possible afterward, and don't touch anything else until
>you wash.
>
>Treatment for the rash varies from person to person. I ignore it as best I
>can, and this works for me. The best cure is prevention. If you are VERY
>allergic to poison ivy, then it may be a good idea to collect fossils in
>the winter!
>
>Andrew K. Rindsberg
>Geological Survey of Alabama

I would like to caution fossilers when digging around poison oak or ivy
even though the plant may be a distance from the dig.  SDpeaking from
personal experience, the roots are just as toxic as the leaves and should be
avoided at all costs.  My contact with roots alone caused a resh all, and I
do mean all over y body.  My wife had me on a rubber sheet and poured
borroughs solution on a towel wrap for several days.  This was in the
begiining of steroid use and they were able to put out the fire with them.
Good luck - Horatio