From:
"R. Goldberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 23:25:02 -0400
Harry, Linda,

You are absolutely right about Veronica's uncle.  I totally forgot about
this.  Thank you for correcting this err.  I now remember Veronica talking
about MacArthur and all of the interesting people who visited both of their
shops over the years.  You both slightly predate my many visits to her 3rd
Ave. shop when I was just a kid.  I found her shop sometime around 1972,
and probably visited almost weekly for an eight to ten year period.

Veronica did purchase a large amount of Hano's stock, which was hopelessly
mixed into her cabinets and back room storage.  I was hired to help
Veronica's attorney value and dispose of her shop contents in 1988.  There
was a wealth of conchological history squirreled away within her shop.  If
you remember the area behind her desk -- we found copies of rare journals
and fascinating correspondence with some of the leading names in the
conchology and malacology at that time.

It was in Veronica's shop that I first met Bill Old (Strombus oldi) and
Karl (Morris) Jacobson who first encouraged me to collect land
shells.  Veronica insisted that I attend the New York Shell Club meetings
and there I first met a young guy who used to take the train up from
Haddonfield, N.J. to attend NY Shell Club Meetings named Gary Rosenberg.

I also gained an appreciation for conchological literature through Veronica
who had a rather extensive library of antiquarian books.  She also
acquainted me with mainstream collector journals such as Of Sea & Shore
magazine of which she kept many copies on display for her patrons to read.

If you hung out in her shop long enough on any given day, someone notable
in the hobby was sure to show up.  And grant it, this was long before large
national conventions and the Internet.  So I think you would have to agree
that her shop really was the center of conchology in New York.  The one
memento and remembrance that I still retained from her shop at the time of
its closing is the enormous and fabulous piece of coral that she used to
keep on top of the double-wide draw wood cabinet next to her desk; memories
of a day when the hobby was far more intimate and far less complex.

Rich
worldwideconchology.com