From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:44:10 +1200
I'm sort-of promoting this book, for which I loaned most (or all) of
the shells illustrated, gave advice and had a last-minute draft check
and caught some inverted and reversed images done by the publisher
and not yet picked up by the author.

I'ts being written by a Honors MSc Marine Sciences student, Peter
Batson, here at Otago University, Dunedin (no, not Florida); though
not specifically a mollusc person, Peter is very knowledgable.

While it's on New Zealand fauna, it will be of much wider interest.
Titled "Deep New Zealand", it is about the bathyal fauna (c300-2000m
depth ie uppermost slope).

It will be a little under A4 paper size, and all illustrations are
color (part from a few old reproduced b&w drawings), and the photos
are great. It includes quite a few cephalopods, including a neonate
Architeuthis. Not sure whether it'll be paperback or hardcover.

Due to technicalities of copyright permission for some images, it
won't be marketed internationally, so I may be in a position to offer
copies to listees, as suggested by the author. Price will hopefully
be pretty low.

I may be asked to do reviews of the book.

I'll be out with Peter dredging a canyon tomorrow or Friday... wish us luck!