From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 14:31:44 -0400
>Date:    Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:34:36 -0400
>From:    Eddie Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question about Crenella species
>
>Hello. I just joined the listserve, so I hope I am not out of line with an
>immediate question.  I am working with dredge samples that were taken on
>the Georges Bank region in the Northwest Atlantic and trying to key all
>organisms collected to lowest possible taxonomic level.  The two main
>texts I am using are Gosner's (1971)  and Abbott's (1954) and I do not
>feel all that confident in my identification of what I think are members
>of the Crenella genus as well as the Musculus genus.  I imagine that there
>has been some changes and regrouping since these books have been published
>and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any current, specific
>literature on
>this subject, as well as any overall field books for molluscs in the
>Northeast US region.  Thanks for any help.

Arcoperna Conrad is a senior subjective synonym of Rhomboidella and
Megacrenella, the genera used in Abbott, 1974 for relatively large, smooth,
Crenella-like taxa.  A. fragilis (Verrill, 1885) is listed by Abbott under
Crenella.

David Campbell

"Old Seashells"
Department of Geology
CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315
919-962-0685
FAX 919-966-4519

"He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe, The
Gold Bug