From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:51:54 GMT
Conch-L,
Many of us have enough geologic training to realize that the Earth is dynamic and change is the norm.  Homo sapiens has been living under relatively good weather conditions for the lifetime of our species.  Unfortunately we have grown in numbers at a time of relatively stable conditions, and are very dependant on those conditions staying the same in order to prevent famine and other problems for our too large and too inflexible population.  Weather will, of course, vary radically over time.  Heat is never distributed evenly, it is the product of winds and currents which distribute it unevenly over the globe.  Some areas will be warm in spite of their latitude due to currents (eg Enland in the Gulf Stream.)  If you add more heat to the system, you can expect shifts in the distribution system.  (Ever try holding a high pressure hose in place?) Even small shifts, like the El Nino in the southeast Pacific, cause worldwide changes in the weather. Some areas becoming colder while others becoming warmer is to be expected. Raising the level of greenhouse gases may not make a huge difference in our lifetime, but a small change might make the grain belt in western  North America a desert, sand dunes and all. It might also flood low lying areas, like the Florida Everglades, or Bangladesh.  Can we prove to everyone's satisfaction that this is happening because of man's actions?  NO.  Should we therefore take no steps to at least slow down the addition of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere?  NO.  Is it a small price to pay to attempt to keep the world's weather a little less unstable?  YES.
Allen Aigen