From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:21:14 +1300
>Perhaps there are just too many people with too much disposable
>income, willing to pay the premium.  Perhaps if most people whould
>realize that they are not going to put their shells in a competitive
>show, and that few people will be able to break even, let alone
>realize a profit for the ultimate sale of their shells, they would
>be less willing to pay so much for so little of a difference.  But
>as one who happily self collects beach shells and fossils, and finds
>beauty in even commercial grade shells, I am, apparently, in the
>minority. Perhaps dealers can make lower grades available at
>discounts without losing money.  It may even help children get into
>the hobby!

I consider those who only go after gem or near-gem specimens to be
dilettantes. not at all interested in scientific collecting or value.

I REFUSE to dispose of any live-collected shell, no matter how bad it
turns out to be. Astraea heliotropium must be one of the most
difficult species to check for condition when living (covered in
sponges, ascideans, bryozoa, polychaets and grunge, most often bored
by worms & phoronids and riddled by Cliona sponge). I have some
really SCOURY A. heliotropium, but I have been able to pass these on
over a period of years, so none died for nothing. But I tend  not to
collect the species now... too many disappointments, not to mention
too much effort in cleaning to make them worth collecting, so when I
dredge at about 60-70m I throw literally hundreds of living specimens
overboard every haul (image of a heap about to be dumped is
available!).
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand