From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 07:02:15 PDT
In former times some books on shells noted about 120 000 species
of gastropoda and about 25 000 species of bivalves. I didn't count
the species, but I think there are less as maybe is based only on
described shells with all the names and counting several synonyms too.
But we have a lot of synomomys too and many names of shells
should be get in synonomy also in future. So I believe that the number
of 100 000 is more realty than the higher ones.
What do you think ?
yours Helmut from Innsbruck in Austria