From:
Bill Fenzan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:42:13 -0500
Hi Andrew & Karen,

I also noticed that there was a shell described as a paratype of Conus
sennottorum on the Molluscs Net auction.  I remember the same specimen was
in an earlier auction.  In my opinion,  I think this specimen is C. spurius.

The original description of C. sennottorum is in Revista de la Sociedad
Malacologica "Carlos de la Torre" as Karen says, a publication printed in
Cuba and not easy to find.  I was fortunate to receive permission from Dr.
Gary Rosenberg to photocopy the relevant pages.  This description contains
photos of two specimens from the type lot - the holotype and one paratype.
Both look like the conventional interpretation of C. sennottorum (i.e.
pear-shaped).  It also looks like the same photo was also published in
Johnsonia.  Of the thirteen type specimens listed in the original
description, seven were retained in the Sennott private collection.  The
holotype and five paratypes were deposited in the U.S. National Museum
(Smithsonian).  I have seen the type lot, but do not remember if any
specimens were on loan or missing.

It would be interesting to find out if there is any documentation to
establish this specimen as a paratype.

Bill Fenzan
Norfolk, Virginia, USA