From:
Mike Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:33:04 +0000
I think you mean the Las Croabas area north of Fajardo.  At the bay in Las
Croabas there is a guy named Ceasar with an old wooden diesel fishing boat
that will take you out to Icacos Island(about 2.5 miles) and drop you off
and come back at whatever time you say to pick you up for about $60.  There
are grassbeds on the east side of the island that you may find Conch.  I
have found several out in the grass beds around there.  I also found many
small conch shells on Culebra Island(have to take a ferry ride there and
rent a car or take a publico(taxi) to a beach.  We stayed at Tamarindo
Estates there and I walked the beach going to the left after you get down to
the beach, and went around the rock point and found many small conch shells
in the loose rocks there.  I have lived in San Juan, PR for a little over a
year now and used to be a rockhound, but not many rocks here, so started
collecting shells.  I am real amateur, but it is fun.
Mike