From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 01:37:53 +0000
While i heartily agree with reminding folks of the rules when deemed
nessessary, i don't think that the list should be completely devoid of
***shell-related*** "fun".  Conchology is a very pleasant, and at at
times downright fun activity, and we shouldn't become so afraid of the
"rules" that we can't crack a few shell-related jokes every now and
then, or tell stories about collecting or collections that are not
strictly in the category of "information sharing".  Also, i think the
category of "on-topic" subjects should be permitted some latitude, to
include links to and summaries of articles about aquatic pollution,
coral reef and other molluscan habitat destruction or degradation, and
the like:  mollusce live in complex ecosystems, so as long as there is a
mulluscan tie-in, i think we should not be afraid to discuss ecological
matters on the list, lest they be thought by some to be "off topic".

From the land of Sun and Warmth (ok, at least today!!),
Ross Mayhew.