Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:09:50 -0900
Dear COA Members:

I wrote one article for American Conchologis on digital photography of
shells.  Since that time I have periodically been asked my opinion about
what handheld digital camera to buy.  When I wrote the article, I did not
own one and was using digital video equipment.  Since that time I have
purchased a handheld digital camera.  I do not use this camera for
general snapshots of scenery and people, but I do use it to take closeup
pictures of mollusks.

The camera I chose was the Agfa ePhoto 1280.  I am satisfied with its
performance, within the current limitations of consumer digital cameras.
The closeup pictures I obtain with this camera are of adequate resolution
and can be digitally manipulated to produce sharp 800 X 600 pixel
pictures.  Do not expect the camera to produce the resolution of a good
35mm camera!  None of the current consumer handheld digital cameras can.

To view some photos of  Jamaican mollusks and to view the EPhoto
specifications, set your web browser for:

http://www.uwp.edu/academic/biology/agfa/agfa1280.htm

Best, Ross

Ross W. Gundersen                               email:
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences      fax: 414-595-2056
University of Wisconsin - Parkside              telephone: 414-595-2417
900 Wood Road
Box 2000
Kenosha, Wisconsin  53141-2000

1