Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 23:39:20 -0400
Original Message:
-----------------
From: Emilio [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:15:55 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Virus warning related to C-L

Yep. I received the same e-mail from Bill "Strombus" Frank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Emilio,

It has Frank's name as the sender, but I'm sure it did not come from Frank.
I occasionally even receive spam emails sent with my own email address --
the sender and the recipient are both my email address.  Of course I did
not sent it, but the spam guys (and gals -- not to be biased) clone email
addresses and cloak their own using downright deceptive techniques.

Frank wrote me today (he seems to be no longer subscribed to Conch-L) and
said that a few people have already contacted him about the infected
emails. I also received similar emails from folks.  The suspect virus is
going around, so be careful.  And I'm not talking about the mistaken Java
file mentioned earlier.

Some time ago I posted information about a work-around. Again, if you are
receiving serious amounts of virus-laden emails, use mail2web.com at [
http://www.mail2web.com ] to view your emails before downloading them onto
your computer. What this Web-based application allows you to do is view
your emails directly off your ISP's POP server and delete suspected emails
before downloading them onto your hard drive.  An explanation of the email
application can be seen at https://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/help.asp?lid=0

I also use mail2web to view and reply to my emails from remote locations
when traveling. I never have to make a long distance phone call to hook
into my ISP.  Any local computer in the area I travel to with Internet
access and a browser will allow me to read, reply, and delete my emails.
There is a secure SSL option too, which does not leave a trace of your
emails or activities on the computer you use to access your emails.  This
is a quick, handy and useful Internet tool if you have a POP account with
your ISP.  It does not work, though, with free email services such as
Hotmail and similar accounts. Most importantly, you can view the suspect
emails without compromising your computer.

Thus are the pitfalls of modern-day Web posting and email activity on the
Internet.  Make sure to protect yourself with automatic, subscription-based
virus definition updates for your antivirus software, and a quick look at
what's on your ISP's server through mail2web.com, or similar before
downloading your daily emails. It's like backing up your data periodically.
If you get lazy and don't do it, you might find that a sudden problem
creeps up on you and bites you in the tookis !  ¦-{

Rich
www.worldwideconchology.com

http://mail2web.com/ .