Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:30:30 -0400
>I've used the Kodak version of an underwater "disposable" for years. Supposed to go to 12 feet, I've taken them to 40 with scuba. They don't implode, but you have to come back up to 12' to advance the film.<

I have used cheap waterproof disposable cameras for snorkeling and shallow scuba (about 40 feet).  Usually by that depth the light becomes a problem, with the camera making everything a washed-out blue.  Even at relatively shallow depths, the water pressure can be enough to depress the shutter release.  To avoid this problem, do not advance the film until you are ready to take the next picture.  Advance the film and the water takes the picture for you.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics