From:
Paul Kanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:53:31 -0700
California laws really aren't that quirky. Basically, with some exceptions,
we can collect anywhere as long as its 1000 yards off the beach..  Abalones
are totally protected south of San Francisco.  Two red abalone (Haliotis
refusens) per day are allowed to be taken with a license north of San
Francisco.  There are bag limits on some species: 10 rock scallops
(Crassadoma gigantea), 5 moon snails (Polinces lewisi), plus various limits
on some other varieties of bivalves. Speckled bay scallops (Argopecten
ventricosus) cannot be taken. California has created some new marine
preserveses along with established ones where collecting is restricted.
Basically, I collect all the time without a problem. Unfortunately, shell
collecting has become a much frowned upon endeavor. So, I try to be as
discreet as possible.  I don't discuss collecting with non collectors and
try not to disrupt the environment .

Regards from sunny California,
Paul Kanner