From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:34:14 +1200
>Due to network/server problems I missed a few messages and didn't
>receive the original on this one, but isn't it now placed in it's
>own family Melapiidae?

Melapiidae? Seems unnecessary to me. Has anyone studied the animal?
On shell characters it would nestle nicely in Turbinellidae, where it
might join Tudicla and possibly Afer in subfamily Tudiclinae (which
contains many Cretaceous to Eocene genera and species eg Pyropsis
{=Saulopsis}, Heteroterma). According to LACM paleontologist Louella
Saul nobody has (as at somewhere in the 90s) examined the animal of
Tudicla; hence her use of the taxon Tudiclidae at familial level.

Can anyone give a reference for the new family?
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand