From:
"Dietl, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:13:26 -0500
Hi, I am new to the list.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me obtain tissue samples of the following Gulf of Mexico species (mostly from Campeche Bay, Mexico) for a research project I am involved with. If anyone can provide a sample I can send further instructions and materials to store the samples and shipping information (my school will pay for all shipping costs and reasonable expenses). I only need a small piece of tissue from the foot of the snail. The shell does not have to be sent or destroyed to obtain the sample. The animal also does not have to be killed to obtain the sample. I am willing to trade for the samples as well. For some of the deeper water species, such as Busycoarctum, if anyone knows of anyone doing dredging in the Gulf I would appreciate any contact information. From what I am told these deep-water species usually come up from shrimp trawling activities.

Busycon candelabrum (Banks off Texas to Yucatan, Mexico; Abbott 1974, p. 222)
Busycoarctum coarctatum (Campeche Bay, Mexico; Abbott 1974, p. 222)
Busycotypus spiratum plagosum (Alabama to Texas to Campeche Bay, Mexico; Abbott 1974, p.223)
Busycon perversum (Campeche Bay, Mexico; Abbott 1974, p. 222)

I am also looking for more northern Atlantic species as well.

Buccinum undatum
Neptunea decemcostata

I hope someone can help me. Please respond offlist.

Greg Dietl, Ph.D.
Center for Marine Science
UNC Wilmington
Wilmington, NC 28409