From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:01:23 -0600
Allen Aigen asked,
> Would the emendation of demani to demanorum be formalized with the first
published review of the taxon?

Not necessarily. The first reviser (not "reviewer") has to make a deliberate
choice that cites both possibilities in the same context. Historically, the
definitive method of correcting an originally incorrect spelling (and some
of them have been doozies, like ninnaei for linnaei, honoring a ninny
instead of Linnaeus) is for the taxon's author to publish the correction.
Some taxonomists are reluctant to admit error, for reasons that I suppose
are identical to those that anyone else might feel.

> If that reviewer decides not to amend it, can it still be emended later?

If I interpret your meaning correctly, then yes. The first reviser does not
have to be the second author to mention a taxon.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew K. Rindsberg

Geological Survey of Alabama