From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:53:52 -0400
Dear Joellen;
        Thanks!!!  This is what i thought, only i have been unable to have it
confirmed.  The general concensus is that this law or set of laws is
poorly enforced, but it IS the law, so it should be respected.
Although i just made a nice purchase of Cuban land snails, some of which
appear to have been recently collected, i will not be going to that
country any time soon - i'm sure i would have great difficulty resisting
the tempation to bring back bits and pieces of Cuba's "natural treasures"........

-Ross m.

                  Joellen Taves <[log in to unmask]>

When I was there last February, Cuba had a blanket ban on taking any natural
"treasures" from their country--no rocks, shells, etc. However, my luggage
was not inspected as far as I know. Landing in a Cuban jail was not a good
prospect; my husband warned me that he might not be down to get me out! I
tried emailing the university in Havana before the trip but did not receive
any reply from them. You can read about Cuba's policy on collecting online,
either on a Cuba site or a U.S. site (I don't recall exactly where right
now).---Joellen.