From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:15:42 -0600
Interesting. The Origin was offered for sale at a book fair, and the major
buyers were bookstore owners and other book dealers. It was also eagerly
awaited. So it is quite possible that all available copies were sold the
first day -- not as individual copies, however.

Incidentally, a book-loving ornithological pair spent several years tracking
down all copies of the original 'elephant folio' edition of Audubon's
'Birds'. I forget the exact numbers, but my impression is that something
like 400 of the original 700 copies remain intact, and most are in public
libraries now. Some were dismembered so that individual plates could be
framed and sold (recall that the birds are reproduced at natural size, and
each plate is the size of a poster). And some were destroyed in accidental
fires or as a result of war. Many of the wartime casualties took place in
the American South, where the book was relatively popular.

And one copy turned up a hundred years later, having been walled up in an
old house in Charleston, South Carolina. What a nice find to make while
remodeling!

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama