Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:12:09 -0500
Sinistrum/Contrarium: makes no difference to the preditory hermit crabs. I have seen them break into the egg container before hatching, eat the yummy Sin/Con and emerge with its shell. Seeing as how there are so many crabs around, it's something of a wonder that any Sin/Cons survive. I guess it's the same for the hatching turtles. Youth is a very dangerous time.
    Art

> From: John Timmerman <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/02/21 Sat AM 10:47:35 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Difference in Busycons?
>
> I regard the Texas species as a representative of the transition from the
> Florida Busycon sinistrum* to the Gulf of Campeche Busycon perversum. Essentially
> it is tempting to regard them as a Busycon perversum without the tumescent
> (swollen) canal. Busycons are confusing in their classification. They hatch
> crawling young rather than a free floating veliger, thus it is very possible for
> genetic variations to become geographically isolated.
>
> In answer to your question, going by geography is likely the best bet for
> identifying your specimen. Even within the Texas population exists variations
> that appear elsewhere in the range of the sinistral Busycons, so attempting to
> differentiate them by color or construction is likely a frustrating exercise. I
> have a variety of specimens from Texas. They tend to be more spinose and
> golden in color. However, I have some South Florida specimens that fit these
> characteristics. Very spinose and/or golden colored specimens are not unheard of in
> North Carolina either.
>
> John Timmerman
> Wilmington NC
>
> * I prefer Busycon sinistrum as Busycon contrarium refers to a fossil species
> of sinsitral Busycon.

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!