From:
Kevin Czaja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:25:09 -0500
I recently set about to better preserve my periostracum bearing molluscs.
I found a previous thread on Conch-L regarding the subject and decided I
would settle upon a mix of 50 percent alcohol-glycerine solution for the
deed.  When I went to local lab supply stockroom, the man told me: that "I
have 'Glycerol' which is the same thing as glycerine."  Not having
memorized the chemical formula, and assuming this man knew what he was
talking about, I purchased the glycerol (I thought perhaps this was just
the brand name).  A couple weeks later I found myself in another lab
supply outfit and found the glycerol bottles sitting next to the glycerine
bottles.  They were clearly not exactly the same as they had different
chemical formulas (glycerol being a "hydrated" version of glycerine).

My question is (especially important to me as I've had 2 nice Colus
stimpsoni soaking for 2 weeks in this glycerine "imposter"), does Glycerol
work the same as Glycerine?  Will it preserve the periostracum the same
way?  And even if does ultimately preserve, is there any important
differences or concerns regarding glycerol that I should know about?

Finally, regarding glycerine and glycerol, the past discussions on this
topic mentioned "What" to preserve your soft parts with, but nothing
about "How long."  How long do people usually soak their shells to achieve
the desired result?

Thanks for any help, Kevin

Kevin Czaja
Dorchester, MA