From:
"M. J. Faber" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:50:54 +0200
The type of Bittiolum is B. podagrinum, a Florida (Pleistocene?) fossil and
most likely a synonym of B. varium. But the older name B. alternatum (Say,
1822) which is usually regarded as a different (more northern) species
probably is a synonym as well, and should take precedence. According to
Houbrick (1993), there are also eastern Pacific congeners. Having a closer
look at the protoconch of B. varium (Houbrick's fig i), I would suggest the
species has planktotrophic larvae. For reasons to separate Bittiolum from
other genera (Houbrick recognizes 6 genera) you should consult the Houbrick
paper. I think some of the generic distinctions are debatable.

cheers,

Marien