From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:23:45 -0500
All becomes clear! Thanks, Tom.

Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama

-----Original Message-----
From: Conchologists of America List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Thomas E. Eichhorst
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 10:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Freshwater barnacle

I have had a few specimens of Vitta usnea (courtesy of Harry Lee - thanks!)
in a freshwater fish tank for a number of years now.  It is actually just
slightly brackish with about a tablespoon of salt per 2 gallons.  I started
with about a dozen and there are now only three - all quite large.  They
faithfully laid egg cases, but of course, without a true salt water
environment the young veligers cannot survive and develop.  This species is
sold by a couple of different online aquarium supply houses as an algae
control measure for freshwater tanks.  They also sell Nerita funiculata and
Vitta luteofasciata for similar control in salt water tanks.  The only other
nerite I have seen with attached barnacles was Vitta glabrata from Africa,
also a freshwater dweller with a need for salt water in its development.  I
also have a couple of Clypeolum latissimum in a fish tank.  They started out
as juveniles of about 10-12mm but have grown in a year to almost twice that
size.

Tom Eichhorst