From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:12:58 -0500
Dear Conch-Lers,

Five days have passed since my message of August 18 about the status of The
Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum after Hurricane Charley, and the initial joy
of finding out only minor damage to the building is giving way to ominous
uncertainty in relation to the operations of the Museum in the near future.

The reason is simple: We lose money from visitor fees and store sales each
day the Museum is closed (the Museum normally opens 7 days a week); Sanibel
Island is closed to the public and the most optimistic forecasts seem to
place opening of the island for visitors sometime within the next couple of
weeks.

If you are in position to do so, please help support Museum operations by
sending your financial contribution to The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
"Emergency Operations Fund". Many thanks in advance for helping the Museum
continue its mission during these difficult times. [The Museum is
incorporated as a non-profit organization and your contribution is
tax-deductible.]

Best wishes to all,

José

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director