From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:02:25 +1200
>Hello Volutidae experts,
>
>I am thinking of purchasing a Teramachia johnsoni, already have a T.
>smithi, and am wondering what the differences are between the two
>species. Could someone please enlighten me?
>
>Regards,
>Peter Egerton

I BELIEVE that T. johnstoni is a synonym of T. tibiaeformis. Don't
necessarily take my word, but be aware.

Teramachia Kuroda 1931 has been synonymized with Calliotectum Dall
1890, though i think not all workers agree. As to the NZ fossil
Pakaurangia Finlay 1926, this is supposedly congeneric with
Teramachia... if so, then Teramachia falls as a junior synonym.
Having never seen a specimen of Pakaurangia, nor as far as I can
remember, an illustration, so I can't render an opinion on that.
Well, i could, but not a meaningful one...

And having said that, I found my "Marwick's Illustratuins" and there
it is, stuck in Thiaridae... drawing of two incomplete specimens (of
course I HAVE seen them before)... it is obviously close, but I'd
need to see an actual specimen to decide this for myself. I would, on
basis of the ilustrations, go along with the synonymy, but keeping in
mind that drawings can (and in Marwick's case often do) distort the
shape (spherical aberration of the camera lucida he used) and details
were sometimes accentuated or left out.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin