From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:23:47 -0500
Wes,
  You comment on the fact that less than gem shells have utility.  How
true.  I would prefer to purchase 10 or 20 "good" shells from a dealer
rather than 1 or 2 "gem" shells.  Why?  The greater the number of shells
that I have the better I can study intraspecific variation and the such.
Only twice have I seen dealers carry "good" pectinidae.  Both times I made
purchases.  Now I would like to pose the question to our dealers...Ross,
Brian, etc...'Is it feasible for you to carry less than fine-gem material?
Have you tried it in the past and taken a loss on it?  Are you willing to
set up deals with specific individuals if you knew that you would not get
stuck with the material?'  Looking forward to hearing your comments.

By the way, I tend to collect mostly fossil material; I do not live
collect; whatever recent material I have is beach collected or for
terrestrial/freshwater material also collected dead.  Trust me, the recent
specimens that I collect are in general only to be considered good, at
best f-.  I for one would buy if more was available.

Charlie

Charlie Sturm, Jr
Clinical Instructor - Family Medicine
  University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
  Carnegie Museum of Natural History