From:
Michael Holling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:29:59 +0100
I doubt very much that the quoted examples of Physella gyrina and Haitia
heterostropha (=acuta) are in fact examples of phenoplastic switch.
Predation should readily explain a shift in allele frequencies within a few
generations, yielding the observed results.
Criterion 1), the chemical agent required, gives the base for a test
however: if the mere presence of, say, tissue extract from the different
predators would lead to the same results, then the hypothesis of
phenoplastic switch would receive support, at the same time falsifying my
idea of allele frequency shift through selective predation.
I my opinion, every species has a range of possible reactions to
environmental factors, and this capacity has a genetic base, so we must
carefully examine which factors (external or internal) could have influenced
the appearance of the individuum we are just looking at. In fact, freshwater
snails change their appearance very much depending on temperature, chemical
factors, water body size etc. etc.
Speciation occurs when populations have become unable to cross-breed, and it
becomes permanent when a switch back to the former conditions has become
improbable. The safest way to get there is a number of genetic differences
(=mutations) fixed in each population. Of course, these are not in those
genes molecular systematics are looking at, but they could be anywhere e.g.
in some regulatory genes.

Greetings from Germany
Michael Hoelling