From:
John Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:05:40 -0500
Dear Friends,
I am a really new collector, and am thoroughly enjoying this chat room.
Here is an experience long before I started collecting shells.  My wife
and I took a trip to the Dominican Republic, came upon what I guess were
very small hermit crabs crawling over rocks - on our day of departure.
They were caught, and then what???  Well, I had 3 boys at home, so took
them to my room, put them into a larger open vessel which prohibited them
from crawling out.  During a stopover in Puerto Rico, we sat waiting,
opened up my carry on, and there they were, crawling all over.  Well, I
captured them, all quite well, and secured them.  Came through USA customs
and asked if there were any problem bringing in these hermit crabs?  No,
no problem.  No problem with any shells.  That was then, what about now?
I have not tried recently.

On another subject, I have a really wonderful set of fine bone chine with
scallop shells aroung the border in a sepia brown color.  It is Gorham
China which no longer exists.  The name is "Town & Country Fine Chine
Collection" and the pattern name is "Newport".  I would love to find
somebody who has a major collection with enough duplicated to trade for
this approximately $2000 worth of china.  It is 12 place settings, with
matching serving pieces.  Shells are more dear to me than the china.

I am thoroughly enjoying the friends I am meeting via Conch-L.
John Andrews
near Valley Forge, PA
610-644-9200 cell