From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:09:40 -0800
Hi Ron and Conchlers, I didn’t know about the H2SO4 in the saliva of Tonna
galea but I will add something about other snail salivary gland chemicals.
The deep water Neptunea spp. as well as Fusitriton oregonensis (Redfield,
1848) both have a potent poison very similar to the pesticide carbamate in
their salivary excretions (which acts as a cholinesterase inhibitor and
paralyzes the muscles of its prey).  There have been several human
poisonings resulting from eating these large snails both here in Washington
State and in Japan.
Removing the salivary glands prevents poisoning. Bert (also in rainy Olympia
-- 2 1/2 inches of rain today!)