From:
Steve Browning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:14:55 -0500
The Grants Committee of the Houston Conchology Society ranked all of
the submissions for this year's Constance Boone Grant to Malacology,
which resulted in a two-way tie for the award.
This year's co-recipients are:

Florencia Arrighetti, PhD student in Biological Sciences, University
of Buenos Aires, Argentina:
   Reproductive and some Ecological Aspects of the Giant Snail
    Adelomelon beckii (Gastropoda:Volutidae) From Mar del Plata,
Argentina

José Marian, PhD student in Zoology, University of São Paulo, Brazil:
    Reproductive Biology of Loligo plei (Cephalopoda:Loliginidae):
    Functional Anatomy of Male and Female Reproductive Systems
    and Determination of its Spawning Strategy

Because of the malacological and ecological significance of each of
these student's projects, I was compelled to recommend that the
membership of the Houston Conchology Society consider awarding each
recipient more than one half of the $1000.00 that is allocated
annually for this award. The membership will vote on this issue at our
next meeting on 8/16/2005. I will notify the recipients of the result
of that vote immediately thereafter.

In addition to these, we received many other outstanding proposals,
which made for intensive considerations and difficult decisions for
those of us on the Grants Committee. I apologize for the resulting
delay in notification that these have inevitably caused.

Stephen Browning
Chairman, Grants Committee
Houston Conchology Society