From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:19:36 +1000
Dear Paul and all,

What a great topic. Yes, it's a problem all right. The Guam Shell Club
almost folded in the mid 90's. We have difficulty getting members and
getting members to volunteer as an officer. We are a small group. So putting
together auctions, outings or shows, as in the past, is very difficult.

And it is hard to promote a club when its practices are often scorned upon.
For instance, a local TV show about diving (produced by a local dive stores)
had a recent episode state that shell populations have declined on Guam due
to over collecting. While there is arguably some truth to this, overall I
believe the comment was misleading. And it steers away potentially
interested local divers and naturalists from our hobby.

Doom and gloom? Nope. Our small group does have fun and shell clubs do still
serve a purpose. I see this thread has already stirred up some ideas. I'll
be thinking through these while reviving the topic with our members. Perhaps
we can get somewhere with this.

Cheers,
Bob
www.guamshellclub.org