From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:42:06 +1000
"Charles Linnaeus was born on 23d May 1707, at Rashult, in the province of
Smaland. His father, Nils, whose ancestors were peasants, was pastor of the
village, and being the first learned man of his house, had, agreeably to a
custom prevalent in Sweden, changed his family-name with his profession, and
borrowed that of Linne' from a large linden-tree, which stood in the vicinity
of his native place, between Tomsboda and Linnhult. His mother, Christina
Broderson, was the daughter of his father's predecessor in office."

The above is the first paragraph on Linnaeus from LIVES OF EMMINENT ZOOLOGISTS
by W. MacGillivray, a tattered discard from an eastern Indiana library which
happened to fall into my hands a few years ago. It is a second edition dated
MDCCCXXXIV (1834), Edinburgh.

This paragraph seems to indicate that when Charles Linnaeus was born, his
father's name was Nils Linne'. I have kept this book simply because it comes
from a time much closer to that period of interest, and I hope that it reports
the facts with less "time" distortion than later books.

Add this tidbit to growing heap info on Linne'..

Aloha,

Bob Dayle