From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:37:34 +1000
I am not sure that I follow Mr. Petit's logic. Is it suggested that the
librarians of a minor midwestern city are so well versed in science, and
particularly in the biographies of eminent zoologists, that they discarded this
book because it lacked any semblance of credulity, or did they discard it
because midwesterners in general had no interest this subject and the book had
not been checked out for decades?

I favor the latter, strongly, because I also have, from this same library, ten
bound volumes--of one year's publications each--of SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, issues
and suppliments, from the years 1870 to 1919. I don't think that they were
discarded because the science in them was judged to be useless by astute
librarians but, rather, that the shelf space was needed for more potentially
active publications.

The book about zoologists, being a small and obviously synoptic tome, was not
expected to present a comprehensive treatment of the subject. I merely offered
the CONCH-L listers the additional information that it contained. There are
bound to be SOME culture-specfic assumptions, plain to most readers of the
early 19th century, which have not reached us here in the 21st century. If any
presentation of a quote on CONCH-L is to be followed with multitudinous caveats
and disclaimers, the nature of this listserv will be substantially altered.

Aloha, and good shelling.

Bob Dayle