From:
"Sarah R. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:39:23 EDT
Ok  some of my best shelling sites:
      Calvert Cliffs in MD is a fantastic place to shell if you are into
fossils. I have found many ecphoras, turritellas and pectins that have been in
fantastic shape there.

      One of my other favorite shelling spots is in Hilton Head SC..  In Sea
Pines Plantation about 3 miles down from the beach club ( I dont know any
close access I usually walk or ride a bike down from the beach club access)
In the tidal drift are many epitoniums ( I found 7 different species within
about an hour) and micro shells such as juvenile olives, marginellas and
whelks and various bivalves that can be in pretty good shape. The key is to
stick with it and walk to south beach and back.  I have also found many
Busycon Carica in the sand there and not just during spawning season. It
became a joke with my family about the " Shell Du Jour" I spent 5 weeks down
there 3 summers ago and each week there was a different shell found in great
quantities. Busycon carica, Oliva sayana, Fasciolaria hunteria,  Polinices
duplicatus, and  Dosinia diskus. were the most common shells we found. Most
were beach specimans but every once in a while there would be a fantastic
speciman washing up or found in the surf with ones foot ( seven stitches later
I might add).  with Dosina discus  we would find them in pairs floating in the
surf just beyond the wave line about a foot from the bottom.
        My other favorite place ( along with everyone else ) is Sanibel Island
FL along the bowman beach stretch  thats all I will say about this area.
However the last time I went  the shelling was unusually great because of
major storms and the dreaded red tide ( which made me really  sick before I
realized what it was...major blunder on my part) What was really cool about
that week was that Octopus joubini was washing up in large quantities and they
were alive ( don't  handle this species  although they are not poisonous  they
have a nasty bite  and no I wasn't bitten)

In another answer to your question... My favorite mollusk scene in a movie is
in  Disney's version of Alice In Wonderland ( careful I just might break out
in song)  The little oysters with The Walrus and the Carpenter .  Go watch it
with your kids

ok Sorry that this was a little long

Sarah
Silver Spring MD