From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:52:32 -0700
Re: failing sewage treatment plants.  One of the other things that tourists
don't want to get on vacation is "the crud" or more specifically Norovirus.
My wife and I had the misfortune to discover we had been snorkeling in
dilute sewage afterwards.  She got mighty sick for a few days.  Not one of
those great memories of our trip to French Polynesia.  Honolulu used to have
no treatment for their sewage and they would put up red flags on the beach
when the trade winds stopped blowing all the sewage out away from Oahu.  The
locals knew what the red flags meant but nobody would tell the tourists.  I
think this has changed since the early 1970's when I observed it.  But it
pays to know what you are swimming in when you go looking for shells.  The
shells do tend to grow bigger near the outfalls. Bert