From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 09:55:57 -0400
Andy,

The old ending -acea for zoological superfamilies
was the same as the ending -acea for family names
in botany. I have a vague recollection that this
is the main reason why the commission went for
the change. Someone on the list may have more
detailed information about this. The 1961 edition
of the code already brought a recommendation on
it; I do not have  copy of the 1985 code but
suspect that it became mandatory with that edition.

Best wishes,

José

At 09:28 AM 05/16/06, you wrote:
>Dick,
>
>Why was the change made from -acea to -oidea? The ending -oidea is so
>similar to others (-idae, -ida) that a series of near-homonyms are generated
>automatically in the vernacular (lingulids, lingulides, linguloids). Was the
>proposer just trying to be tidy?
>
>I suspect that the Commission did not consider the need to avoid homonymy
>between the names of genera and families to be very important, because
>humans would be likely to understand the difference from the context,
>especially as generic names are usually italicized. However, computers are
>not intelligent and they are very likely to confuse the two Trochoidea in
>databases.
>
>Cheers,
>Andrew
>
>Andrew K. Rindsberg