From:
Betty and Bob Lipe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:51:55 -0800
Lynn Scheu wrote:

> Can someone please help Jim Knapp?  I've seen the little doves, but never
> broke one open.

> >From: "Jim Knapp" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Sand Dollars
> >Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:13:19 -0500
> >
> >Looking for inf. as to 'how to open the Sand Dollar to reveal the cross?'
> >
> >Thank you!
> >
> >Jim Knapp, M.S.W.
> >G.O.F.H.

Ah, the sand dollar.  I'm asked everyday about that subject.  Where to
collect it and how to clean it.  The little doves that are inside are
actually its teeth.  There are 5 of them in the shape of a star not a
cross.  (You may be thinking about the cruifix, which is a catfish
head.)
To get the star out in one piece is not as easy as getting it out in 5
pieces.  First, bleach it until all of the hair is gone.  It doesn't
have to be white.  It is better not to bleach it to much because the
star will fall apart.  With it upside down, start breaking small pieces
away from the hole in the center.  that is its mouth.  You will start to
see the teeth, (star) after a while, and you can pull it out in one
piece if it still has some of the membrain holding the five piece
together. They will not be white, but you can see how the star looks and
then you can bleach it and when it fall apart you can glue it back
together, and it will be nice and white.   If you want to know how to
clean the sand dollar all the way you will may have to get the book
"CLEAN YOUR SHELLS AND OTHER SEALIFE".  which has already been mentioned
on Conch-L by a couple of other people. Anymore questions?

Bob Lipe
Bob & Betty Lipe mailto:[log in to unmask]
The Shell Store: http://theshellstore.com