From:
"J. Ross Mayhew" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:35:10 -0400
There is considerable confusion regarding exactly what CITES is, and
what it does.  It is an acronym for the Convention on International
Trade in Endangered Species (of Wild Fauna and Flora), and is an
international agreement  ("treaty") between national governments. Its
aim is to ensure that ***international trade*** in specimens of wild
animals and plants does not threaten their survival.   It has no
reguations or stipulations regarding either ownership (posession) of
listed species, or their sale within the borders of any particular
country - only cross-border, international trade is addressed by the
CITES treaty. Some countries may have their own regulations and laws
regarding the sale of CITES species within their borders (does anyone
know of any??), but this is a reaction to the treaty, not part of it.

CITES has divided "species at risk" as determined (sometimes
erroneously, as posts earlier today have pointed out!!) by panels of
biologists, into three groups, which it correspondingly lists on three
"schedules" - Schedule I species are considered the most endangered,
while Schedule II and III are judged to be merely "threatened" or at
risk in a less urgent manner.  Each level or schedule has its own level
of international trade restrictions, with Schedule I species being VERY
difficult to gain trade permits for.

The CITES process is not perfect, but it is the best tool we have at
present to restrict international trade in endangered species.
Accordingly, i think that we, as members of a group vitally concerned
with the protection of biodiversity, should strictly abide by its
regulations and defend the treaty when asked about it, instead of
constantly pointing out its shortcomings.

 From a crisp, dry night in New Scotland,
Ross Mayhew.