From:
Gillian Overholser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:25:44 -0800
Hi all,

I went to Isla Holbox last winter -- it was not
crowded because of the recent hurricanes. That said,
the bugs were really atrocious -- nothing to ignore.
And getting there is not quick -- a three hour ride on
dirtroads from the airport followed by the "ferry"
which in our case was really more of a motor boat.

 I did get some good shells -- but mostly a nasty wind
storm (very common that time of year -- make sure to
check local weather patterns) blew a bit of the ocean
floor apart and it all washed in onto the beach  --
sad, but  I got some amazing shells.

We did also make the trip out to "Punta Mosquito" --
and while the shelling was o.k. i would not spend more
than a day there -- unless you have a guide who is
taking you snorkeling perhaps -- we did not have that.

regards,

Gillian Overholser

--- Emilio Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
Re: Shelling in MexicoJulie and Stemke,

You are probably thinking of Holbox Island. You can
get there byferry from a port not too far from Mérida
whose name I cannotremember but easy to find in
Mexican travel books. Emily and HaroldVokes stayed
there several times while preparing their book on
theshallow-water mollusks of Yucatán. The first time I
went there, some25 years ago, it was an excellent
collecting spot (if you snorkel).They had just built
the first "hotel". It had two rooms,each with a nice
shower. However, the rooms were totally empty.
Theyonly had hooks from which to hang your hammock, if
you had one, whichI didn't. No problem. The owner let
me borrow one.Besides goodcollecting, there used to be
many fishermen who brought back shellswith their
catch. I obtained several yellow Lyon's paws from
them.Twenty-five years ago.

I went back to Holbox in the summer of 1995. Big
mistake! It hadbeen discovered by the Mexican
vacationers because it was much cheaperthan the east
coast of Yucatán, which caters to the Americantourist.
A number of little hotels had been built. It was hot
(no airconditioning) and VERY crowded. I stayed two
nights. Mainly ate a lotof seafood. I am sure that at
other, non-touristic, non-cyclonic timesof the year it
would be a fun spot for a few days.

Emilio

Julie,

Many years ago (maybe 20?) I read of an island 'close
to Merida'. It was tricky to get ot to, the mosquitos
were said to beintolerable...but the shelling sounded
fantastic. One thing thatresonated in my brain was
that there were large Cypraea cervus therein addition
to the rest of the shelling.  I wish I could
rememberthe name of the island or even the source of
this which could havebeen one of several pubs like Sea
and Sea, Houston Conchology Societynewsletter, or even
Hawaiian Shell News.

Julie Amos <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
nothingdefinite but we're thinking of the Yucatan
area.

---------------------------------
Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel
sitesto find flight and hotel bargains.

- a forum for informal discussions on molluscsTo leave
this list, click on the following web
link:http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1Type
your email address and name in the appropriate box
andclick leave the

The fish are biting.