From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:30:40 -0500
Tom makes an excellent point.  However, many biologists are afraid of
potential political backlash by the lay public if species are declared
endangered when one can go out and see them by the droves.  Like it or not,
species are protected by our tax dollars and the general public appears to
be becoming much more vocal on how this money is allocated.  If we screw up
too many times (at least in the public's eye) we may be in for even more
trouble getting moola for a species in immediate danger.  Kurt