Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 22:22:33 -0400
I don't think that only "scientists" are able to name shells, however,
anyone professional, semi-professional, or amateur should exercise the
same diligence in doing so. I would like to recommend a few books that may
be useful to those interested in this topic.

The International Code of Zoological Nomenclature was already mentioned.
The website for the e-version was mentioned in an earlier post. If folks
missed it just search for ICZN and it should be the first or second hit. I
personally like the print version. I find it easier to flip back and forth
between different sections.
International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. 1999. International
Code of Zoological Nomenclature, 4th. ed. International Trust for
Zoological Nomenclature, London. xxix + 306 pp.

I would also mention that the Commission works with a shoestring budget.
All donations are appreciated. (note I have no connection to them). It
might be nice if some clubs, individuals, COA would consider making a
donation to furethering the cause of a stable nomenclatural system.

The next book is Judith E. Winston. 1999. Describing Species. Practical
Taxonomic Procedure for Biologists. Columbia University Press, New York.
xx + 518 pp.

Lastly, Daniel Geiger wrote a brief introduction to the ICZN, the idea of
naming new species and genera, and the different categories of type
specimens.
Geiger, D.L. 2006. Chapter 10. Taxonomy and Taxonomic Writings: A Primer.
In. C. F. Sturm, T. A. Pearce, and A. Valdes, The Mollusks: A Guide to
Their Study, Collection, and Preservation. Universal Publishers, Inc.,
Boca Raton, FL. pp. 147-159.

Regards,
Charlie
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine