From:
GEORGE WATTERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:42:37 -0400
Many freshwater mussel shells are actually quite pliable when wet (Leptodea, Pyganodon, etc.) but become brittle when dried. Many often fracture with changes in humidity. As stated before, this seems to be a case of too little shell and too much periostracum, which contract at different rates and degrees when dried. If the shell is more sturdy, the periostracum may peel off. Or, if the periostracum is more sturdy, it can break the underlying shell when it contracts.

G.Thomas Watters, PhD
Curator of Molluscs
Department of Evolution, Ecology & Organismal Biology
The Ohio State University
1315 Kinnear Rd.
Columbus, OH 43212  USA
v: 614-292-6170