From:
Stephanie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:27:54 -0500
Hi all and Harry and Geoff

In my reference database of papers I have copies of, I have entered
for Orbitestella bastowi the following

Gatliff, 1906 Proc. Royal Soc. Vict. 19(1): 1-4, plates 1-2.

I have a copy of this paper, which as soon as I fill out the customs
info will be sent in a container with the rest of my library (my
parents had to repack this due to weight restrictions per box into 92
boxes from 50 boxes) from Australia arriving here in a couple of
months. So if all concerned are willing to wait awhile then you can
get a scan when I finally find which box my Gatliff file was put in.

Stephanie
At 07:41 AM 12-07-2007, you wrote:
>Harry
>Just to make it confusing
>Cotton, 1959 - South Australian mollusca Archaeogastropoda cites
>Orbitestella bastowi (Cyclostrema)as
>Gatliff & Gabriel, 1906, Trans Roy. Soc S.Austr, vol 23 p 218 pl 6 figs 4a,c
>Unfortunately I don't have access to this publication
>Geoff
>

>>From: "Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: tiny jewel from Arno
>>Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:28:07 -0400
>>
>>Dear David,
>>
>>I agree that the shell is a juvenile and believe it is that of a
>>member of the Orbitestella Iredale 1817, probably in the type genus
>>Orbitestella Iredale, 1917 [Type species Cyclostrema bastowi Gatliff
>>[or Gatliff and Gabriel], 1906 from southern Australia; also rendered
>>bairstowi in the literature; correct original spelling unknown to me,
>>but the latter is likely an incorrect subsequent spelling or an
>>unjustified emendation], which has a circumglobal range. This family
>>was originally thought to be in the relatively primitive
>>Archaeogastropoda but is now placed in the Heterobranchia in the
>>company of the omalogyrids and architectonicids.
>>
>>Perhaps the "Down-under" contingent can rescue me on this matter?
>>
>>Harry
>>

>>At 10:24 PM 7/10/2007, you wrote:
>>>Sometimes it comes down to the sheer aesthetic qualities of the
>>>shells I encounter. I want to savor the grace and detail of the
>>>form. I found one of those in the grit from Arno, Marshall Islands last
>>>night.
>>>These micros are frequently mysterious on a number of counts. This
>>>one may be an example where a juvenile form is unlike the adult
>>>form. It could be something that simply isn't illustrated in any of
>>>the books I have or imaged on the internet. But it's gorgeous in any case.
>>>Please have a look:
>>>http://z14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist_Forum/index.php?showtopic=630&view=findpost&p=4086416
>>>

>>>David Kirsh
>>>Durham, NC

>Advertisement: Live Earth '07 updates, artist info & concert streams!
>http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=790&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://liveearth.ninemsn.com.au

>[log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>click leave the list.

Dr Stephanie A. Clark

Malacologist / Assistant Collections Manager
Chicago Academy of Sciences
4001 N Ravenswood Ave, Ste 201
Chicago, IL 60613-2576 USA
Phone: 1 (773) 477 4295 FAX: 1 (773) 755 5199
Mobile 1 (205) 310 9942
email [log in to unmask]