From:
Leslie Allen Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:53:19 -0500
Hi Vicky,

Yes, dilution with Ethanol is a good means for this.  The Glycerol will
diffuse into the Ethanol, making it more readily absorbed by the
periostracum and shell.  Then the ethanol evaporates away quickly ... neat
and tidy.

I use this with freshwater bivalves or other bivalves that are subject to
drying and cracking such as pen shells and razor clams.  I just soak them
for about a day, them set them on a cardboard box to dry.  Later  with a
small brush I may go back and paint the ligament with fresh Glycerin.

The trick is finding an air-tight container large enough to soak them in so
that the ethanol doesn't evaporate off up front.  When done I then pour the
remaining solution back into the alcohol bottle. (marked as mixed with
Glycerin)

Take all our ideas and find what works best for you ...
Leslie Crnkovic