From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:50:06 -0700
Welcome to the list!  I have to add my two cents worth on labeling and
scientific names and references.  Labeling will add to the enjoyment of your
collection over time [I guarantee that if you forget to label shells you
have collected yourself, you will forget the details after 10 or 20 years
and you will regret it].  Labels will also add to their scientific value.
Often amateurs are the first to notice changes occurring in their local
area.  For example, one of our local shell club members found a new
introduced species of bivalve from Asia before any of the "scientists" did.
New populations of mollusks show up all the time. I just found a new
population of land snails in my neighborhood yesterday.  Unfortunately, some
other populations will die off or become very rare where they used to be
common.  Sharp eyes, good labels and organized data will help document these
changes as they occur.  Some shells [especially small land snails] are
almost impossible to identify unless you use a microscope and do careful
dissection. A genus name with "question marks" for the species is good
enough as long as you know where it came from and when you collected them.

Expect the names to change on quite a few mollusks in your collection over
time.  Keep the old labels and see how much new information you have
learned.  The species name is better for doing internet searches since is
will seldom change compared to genus names.  Books often contain errors but
are a good starting point to learn more about mollusks.  It's always O.K. to
make mistakes in identification and find out the correct answer later. I
just figured out several batches of freshwater mussels after 20 years. Don't
sweat the details, just enjoy the fun of finding new shells and learn as you
go. Every collection begins with a single shell or batch of shells. This
list is an excellent resource and many people from all over the world will
be glad to help answer your questions and share their expertise. Good
shelling. Bert Bartleson, Olympia, WA, USA