From:
Norman Haase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:48:24 -0400
Hi.

I just wanted to say thank you again to Jenny Cline, Bill Frank, Tom
Eichhorst and Paul Monfils for their help and suggestions in regard to
picking a species that might match the shell used on the Hero fountain pens
I've ordered from China (all without being able to see a picture!) I called
Shanghai again, and they had no idea, other than it came from China. As I
had to make a decision quickly to satisfy the FWS, or they'd send my whole
shipment back to China, I went with one of Jenny's abalone suggestions (I
had further described a certain iridescence apparent in the photograph), and
as she said they were not an endangered species, I randomly selected
Haliotis varia Linne 1758. I won't know until tomorrow whether or not this
will fly, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Now that you've graciously answered one question, I have another. You've all
piqued my interest with your knowledge on the subject, so, what's the best
book for a novice to start with? (I see at least 4 more opinions coming) <G>

Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Norman