From:
David Lindeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:44:59 EDT
The Shell that I described is I believe a gray bonnet Phalium Glaucum.I wasnt
sure but after a second look at page 105 in the encyclopdeia of seashells by
Wye Im pretty sure .the decription state that it only has on varix .If you
have that book you will notice though that the photo makes it apear as if
there are 2 ,,just that the specimen i have has the varix much closer to the
previous varix and the picture in the book shows it on the opposite side .It
might be an interesting study to exaimine the microstructure of the
suture,Perhaps there are microfissures .It might make some sense for the
animal to be designed in this way ,in that it would allow for growth all the
while it is being protect instead of growing out in the open and it would
eliminate the energy consumption of having to keep dissolving the lip .Further
the shell i have doesnt have the parietal area thickening like the one in the
picture.

Thanks for commenting

David Lindeman
NY