From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:28:06 -0600
To All Beaters of the Species Dead Horse,

I know most folks are punching any message with "species" off - it has gone
on a bit.  But for those who actually enjoy stomping upon a dead equine,
here is some more.  I believe the point was made by Dr. Gary Rosenberg that
we are attempting to put a complex system we still do not completely
understand into a nicely shaped, square box and it just does not always
fit.  Every modern biology text presents a number of definitions or concepts
of species.  There is no single answer!!!

As I pointed out previously, here is a case in point.  Lampropeltis getulus
(the common eastern kingsnake) can successfully mate with Elaphe guttata
(the corn snake) and produce offspring.  These are two DIFFERENT GENERA!!
Next, the offspring (called "jungle corns or jungle kings") are fertile and
have been bred through many generations!!  Apparently these two never read
the book that says they can't mate, but if they do the offspring will be
infertile hybrids.

The system is bigger and more complex than can be accounted for with simple
black and white definitions.  My solution is to accept a species as a
species if so described.  If someone (accredited) comes along and changes
things, I'll change with them; unless of course it is something like
assigning morum to the family harpidae (thanks to Rich Goldberg of Worldwide
Specimen Shells, I have copies of the relevant papers).  In the case of
reassigning the morum complex, I am dragging my feet.  I know why they were
moved - I just don't quite buy it.

Anyway, the final answer on species is, there is no final answer.  It will
be a battle for ages to come.  In the meantime, my Cypraea mus and my
Cypraea mus donmoorei are long dead and do not care what box they are placed
within -- species, subspecies, or form.  Me, I think they are neat enough
(that is the male way of saying beautiful) to want an example of each, and
because my database is in my computer I can change the data slips to match
whatever the current "correct" label happens to be.  It is, after all, only
a label.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA