From:
Bill Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:25:10 -0500
There is no doubt that some Indo Pacific species can be found living in
Florida waters - expecially near busy commercial shipping ports -
obviously due to ballast water exchange/dumping.

One instance of a foreign import turning up is chronicled on our home
page (past newsletter articles - H.G. Lee) where the species caused
considerable problems at a local power plant (Northside Generating
Station).

Circa. 1993, Mary Bukstel (Broward Shell Club) collected alive adult
Pinctada mazatlanica (Hanley, 1856) during a dive off
Boynton Beach at a depth of 90 feet.  The identification was
confirmed by Tucker Abbott.  I have subsequently heard that
additional specimens have been found.

I can also recollect reports of Miami Beach, upon occasion, being
"salted" with shells some 20-30 years ago.

Likewise, some Caribbean species can be found in areas where
they obviously never lived.  Earlier this year while shelling the
Halifax River at Port Orange with P. Poland and Marlo Krisberg,
I found a dead adult Cittarium pica - obviously placed there by
someone discarding the shell.

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm