Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:43:12 -0500
ferreter wrote:

> Guido , you wrote ; Before buying I tested the shell with aceton and
> nail remover, but nothing
> happened.
>
> There is a new ceramic glazing that amalgamates at a low fire point,
> in other words you can reapply the gloss of a cypraea at only 350
> degrees, this is far less destructive to the shell but also there are
> not the tell-tale cracks as we've seen in the high temp fired glazes.
> worst yet they (those talented people who create fakes) are working
> with a slip that is high density and can be molded to fine edges . You
> say "so what" this all means that it won't be long before we see fakes
> that are so well done that it will take a team of experts to tell them
> apart for the real McCoys. good luck and God save us all. ferreter
Hello!

Hi,

If this is true there are no solvents (except acid etch which defeats
the purpose) to detect fake ceramic coatings.

What a bummer. It will come to collecting live or dead "at sea"
collected shells. None bought. Dealers will wither away. Even the dead
collected "at sea" shells may be suspect due to seeding.

Woe is us. The shell market is in turmoil!!!! As usual????

Remember Luigi Raybaudi was fooled more than once with Cyp teramachii
splendida and the famous white backed Zoila edingeri he named Zoila
lobettiana. These were expertly manufactured fakes sold by the infamous
Jon Gratz. Wonder if he was ever sentenced??

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power